Friday, August 10, 2012

Reanimating NiMh Battery Pack in home cordless phone

At home, we have cordless "TELECOM" phone. This summer, after two weeks of idle time during our vacations, it refused to continue working. It also refused to charge its pack of 3 NiMH batteries (T160 600 mAh 3.6V D4 marking). I.e., green LED which should indicate chraging process and presence of phone tube on the base module did not turn on when I tried to start charge the cordless receiver by putting it to its place (its dedicated socket). I tried to apply the same method I used for my LiIon smartphone battery (see my previous post on it): firstly to charge battery directly via lab DC power supply. The difference is that this pack of 3 NiMH batteries does not have internal built-in charge controller, so there is no need to disclose internal connector pins. I set up output voltage to about 4 Volts, and max. current to about 50 mA. After approximately 2 hours, power supply switched from constant current into constant voltage regulating mode, and I disconnected the battery. After placing this slightly recharged battery back into cordless phone tube, and putting this tube back on base station, green LED which indicates charging process, turned on, and device continued to work in normal mode. Apparently, charge controller built into this phone tube needed for its operation higher voltage than discharged battery was able to deliver. So be aware of this method, and do not throw out your battery prematurely.

UPD: the same method works with NiMh AAA accumulators, I've just checked this today. 900 mAh acc. battery discharged to ~0.7 volts has been charging with ~90mA current for a few hours, after that I was able to complete the process with standard charger.

P.S.: Caution! In absense of temperature monitoring circuit, do not charge the battery with currents more that 0.1*C, for example, in my case I had battery with 600 mAh Capacity (designated by capital "C" letter), so max. safe charging current was 60 mA. Also, do not try to repeat this without proper setting of output voltage limit in your power supply. Put the battery into protective box for a period of charging to prevent damage from its possible explosion. Make sure that you are ready to quickly disconnect the power supply and to extinguish a fire in case if it will arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment